New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Easy Retaining Wall Backdrop

 Greetings All,

After scrapping another video of a train coming out of the Terminal Yard tunnel in PCCM 95 I finally found an easy solution to add a light colored retaining wall backdrop. 

Let's take a look at the issue and solution.

PCCM 95 Outbound Train SK-57 leaves Terminal Yard for Selkirk and ended up on the cutting room floor.

In still photographs my camera will adjust to the light conditions as seen below. The backdrop was painted for me by mother in law so I need to tread lightly in adding to it.

On a recent trip to a big box hobby & craft store I came across this product called Natural Stone Bulletin Board Paper from Renewing Minds. The product comes in a very large roll similar to gift wrap but thicker.

The first test section is in. I like it!!! The black engines and scenery look much better with no additional light source required.

A second section has been added as I continue down the grade towards Hudson Coal. The retaining wall paper is wrapped around pieces of foam core cut to size to match the grade.

An NYC U28B and PC GP38-2 bring a train behind Hudson Coal and are very visible against the retaining wall. 

The freight consist rolls behind Hudson Coal and is clearly discernible. The glossy retaining wall paper has been sprayed with a rattle can matte finish.

A test video of the area with the new retaining wall backdrop.
 
A week later armed with more foam core that was very scarce at my local big box store I turned my attention to this back panel at Empire City Station.

Now that looks much better to me!!!

A second backdrop panel has been added and the scene looks so much better now.

I was on a roll working with the bulletin board paper roll and tackled this area next. 

The camera captures a much nicer scene with the retaining wall backdrops in place.

I continued on with the backdrop to spruce up this area.

As I noted earlier foam core was hard to come by and I didn't have a single piece big enough to span the area I was working on. I made two panels as seen below and you can see how I attached it to the foam core. If you can wrap a gift you can do  this. Folded over tape holds the panel is place.

I ended up rewrapping the wall with a single piece of the backdrop paper which gave it a better overall look.

The final area I worked on was the reverse track tunnel face and the area to the left of that.

The retaining wall backdrop project is now basically complete. The billboard and base probably won't be there much longer.

New York Central two tone gray passengers cars look pretty good  against the retaining wall backdrop.

Empire City Station never looked so good!!!

Modelers in need of an easy way to add stone wall backdrop might like using this product and its very quick results. I was very happy with how the project turned out, the ease of application and no mess.

But if 1:1 Alco Joe can find his way back to Mingo Junction and bring a couple of pails of brick pieces like the one from the Mingo Junction Roundhouse below I'd gladly consider a stacked brick wall!

The brick piece from the Alco Holy Land has been placed in the Terminal Yard engine terminal as a reminder to all who enter that this too is Alco Country. Thank you 1:1 Alco Joe!!!

Thanks for reading and watching!!!
See you soon!!!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wall look great! I wish I would have seen this before I ordered my retaining walls for an up coming project! EVERYTHING you added it to enhanced the scene. All of your trains do look much better without adding any light. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sir Neal!!! This product was a good find!

      Delete
  3. A very effective way to enhance background scenes! The Terminal Yard tunnel area and the Empire City Station treatments all look great! Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! It really looks super on your layout. Great job on installation too! I'll look for this product on my next hobby store trip.

    ReplyDelete