New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Monday, February 4, 2019

Locomotive Number Corrections

Greetings All,

Ten years ago I decided to focus my modeling attention on the New York Central and started to try my hand at stripping and painting engines and freight cars that I already owned. At the time I did not possess much knowledge of NYC engine numbering and just picked convenient number blocks from the decal sheet that looked 'engine like'.

All was well for for several years but as I gained prototypical diesel info on the NYC and more prototypically numbered engines were added to my locomotive fleet these original NYCTL NYC engines ended up in the purgatory box. With the recent success of my NYC GP35 #2399 Project I decided to make the effort to change the numbers on five NYC engines. Let's check out the project.

NYC GP30 #2728 at the Engine Facility ready for renumbering. Or a smack with a hammer.  
GP30s #2526 and #2324 (not shown) await their new numbers.

Using the tried and true Walthers Solvaset and an eraser I was able to remove the cab side numbers pretty easily. Don't worry if the work is not perfect. Remember as delivered the NYC GP30s were numbered 6115 - 6124 and were later renumbered 2188 - 2197 for the impending merger with the Pennsylvania Railroad. So evidence of renumbering is OK. 
NYC GP30 #2188(former #2526) has rolled out of the Patti O Paint Shop and is back in service. #2188 is the lowest number GP30 on the NYC.
The new NYC #2194. I used small numbers from my Empire Belt decals for the number boards so the GP30s would be identical.  
NYC #2197 was the highest numbered GP30 on the NYC roster. 
These two might be a head scratcher. A pair of Bachmann Plus B23-7s masquerading as U30Bs in a NYC U25B paint scheme. I didn't care for the very spartan NYC U30B pre merger paint schemes that consisted of emblems on the cab sides and road numbers below that. Instead I chose the full NYC U25B paint scheme but had numbered the units 3683 and 3893. Here is the newly renumbered NYC #2834 fresh out of the shop.
The newly renumbered NYC #2835. Both the 2834 and 2835 are now correctly numbered incorrect engines. You understand that right? I'm not even sure I do.😉  All I know is they look much better to me in these new 2800 series numbers.
Thanks for reading!!!
See Ya Soon!!!

8 comments:

  1. Great work on repainting and renumbering the NYC locos. If you didn't point out the B23-7 / U30B difference, I would have never known. Some things should remain a secret, right? The Patti-O Paint shop does it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to get those units looking more like the prototype and back in service on he N.Y.C.T.L.!! Great work! I'm always impressed by your skills with small decals like those number boards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's really satisfying to revisit old projects and bring them up to date! The B23-7s look pretty good as faux units, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice updates to the fleet. As we have talked before, not too serious with the rivet counting, but having satisfaction knowing you’re running the correct road numbers. The B23-7 err U30B’s look great as well. I like your close enough doctrine for some projects. Just like the PC Baby Hi-Cubes. Good enough for our group of modelers. 😉

    ReplyDelete