New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Thursday, January 17, 2019

New York Central GP35 #2399

Greetings All,

What would you say if I said the New York Central System had an EMD GP35 with dynamic brakes? If you asked me that a few months ago I would have said no way based on all the print and internet info I've read. I've since learned different. Check this out;

EMD built a GP35 with see thru side panels for the 1964 -1965 World's Fair that was held in Queens NY. When the fair ended this display engine EMDX 1964 and then EMDX 1965 with it's dynamic brakes was sold to the NYC. This engine became NYC 6155 the highest numbered GP35 on the NYC roster. It was later renumbered 2399 in 1966 for the pending NYC-PRR merger. 

Here's the 2399 at Sandusky Ohio in 1966! Dynamic brakes an all!! Make sure you scroll down!

WHAT!!! A New York Central GP35 had dynamic brakes!!! Get that 2937 out of the purgatory box!! 

This NYC GP35 #2937 painted in 2010 with a wrong number and dynamic brakes ended up in the purgatory box based on published information that proved to be wrong. The wrong original number was an easy fix. The dynamic brake blister not an easy fix at all on this wide bodied Athearn BB unit  so it ended up in the purgatory as more accurately painted and lettered engines joined the fleet.
Here it is with it's numbers removed using solvaset and an eraser. 
With number boards stripped. 
Some styrene panels added to cover nose headlight and missing panel on the side.
The engine was in the purgatory box for so long it was not hardwired which I quickly remedied.
The NYC GP35 is now ready for it's new accurate number
Fresh out of the paint shop the 2399 draws the 1/87th scale N.Y.C.T.L. guys who for years thought NO NYC GP35s had dynamic brakes.
The Penn Central Bi-Annual shows the ex NYC 2399, now PC 2399 as being ex NYC 6155 and assigned to Collinwood. It notes that 2369-2399 have no dynamic brakes. We know better now!
NYC 2399 with a Bachmann Plus PRR dummy GP35 an Athearn BB PC 2327 that I painted in 2012. 
The 2399 leads a freight train at Bedford NY. The 2399 would eventually become Conrail 2399. It was retired in 1987 and reported to be scrapped at Holidaysburg that same year.
Seeing is believing and 1/87th scale John B is now a believer!
The newly learned info on the NYC 2399 was something that really made my day. I tried to share the new found info with my wife but got a strange look and a yawn. Maybe it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things but it still made me very happy.
Thanks for reading!!!
See ya Soon!!



8 comments:

  1. This brings up an interesting subject, the 1964 World's Fair. This wasn't as big a deal for railroads as the 1939 World's Fair, which popularized the model railroad hobby and introduced the PRR S-1. But the Long Insland Rail Road gave itself a makeover, introducing its Alco C420s and a flashy new paint scheme, and the Erie Lackawanna renamed the Lake Cities the World's Fair. I remember you could send to the LIRR for a fun publicity packet that included a commemorative coin, photo prints of the C420 and other items, and a Dashing Dan decal. I put the decal on my high school notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points John! The L.I.R.R. seemed to go all out as the 'host' railroad. The new 'World's Fair' paint schemes on their rolling stock and locomotives was quite eye catching. Glad to learn their public relations department followed suit.

      Delete
  2. Very cool discovery and Purgatory box rescue. I had no idea they rostered one dynamic brake GP35. Looks great and glad to see it back in service again. I understand the lukewarm response from the Mrs. I get a lot of the same reaction from my wife. I even quote Yanosey and just get crickets. You can always get a interested reaction from this prototype friendly bunch. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I echo the sentiment re;the GP35. Who knew?!!! Admittedly these are tough cocktail party topics but everyone should know who Yanosey is and his significance to us PC guys! Glad to have you guys out there to be able to share this big news with an audience that appreciates it.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to find a unique discovery like you did. While it makes us modelers happy and jump for joy, the non-model railroaders just don't get it. Tis better to get the ho hum than the rant other guys get from their spouse or SO yelling they still play with toy trains! Sheesh!

    Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sir Neal! The wife can roll her eyes like no other so I stop the train stuff just before we get to that. But I do enjoy pushing that envelope...

      Delete
  4. Research pays off again! That and some cosmetic work and a purgatory box loco now sees service as a faithful model of the prototype on the N.Y.C.T.L.! My wife is similarly impressed by railroad specs and likes to jokingly remind me of the obnoxious kid on "Th Polar Express" who annoys the other passengers by being a know-it-all about what kind of steam engine is pulling the train! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you were able to find a way to get a perfectly good engine out of the box! My purgatory box has a couple out of era engines. I can totally relate to the eyeroll! But I get mine with a smile! Of course, that also entices me to push that envelope too! Hey, shouldn't we have an opportunity to drive THEM nuts?

    ReplyDelete