New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Locomotive Projects: Making Corrections and Closing the Gaps!!!

 Greetings All,

Locomotive Projects: 
Making Corrections and Closing the Gaps!!!

Correcting a PC RS2
Here we go again with another renumbering project to give a Penn Central Alco RS2 a prototypical road number and PC herald. I painted the proto 1000 model RS2 #8369 in September, 2012. I was pleased with the outcome and the unit has been in service for eleven years. 
Fast forward those eleven years and my Penn Central Prototype knowledge continues to expand. I've since learned that the PC had six (6) RS2s on their roster, all ex New York Central 8207, 8210, 8212, 8215, 8221, 8229(2nd). They were renumbered into the 5200 series for the merger 5207, 5210, 5212, 5215, 5221, 5229. 
A few weeks ago I decided the 8369 needed a new number and PC heralds. I removed the old road number with Solvaset and an eraser, brush painted over that with flat black and then brush painted Walthers clear gloss over that and the area getting the herald.
I also painted out the road numbers on the hood ends. The road numbers should be in the small number boards.
The 5229 gets pulled from the shop by GE 44 tonner 9999, the only 44 tonner on the PC roster. I used prototype photos of the 5229 and 9999 as guides for both models.
The 5229 is looking a lot more prototypical with the herald, correct number and numbers removed from the hood ends. As noted above there should be road numbers in the small number boards but I didn't have any number decals that small. Maybe down the road.
PC RS2 #5229 is back in service at Terminal Yard. 

Closing The Gaps!!!
The Penn Central was one of only a few roads that could muster an F7 A-B-B-A lash up in the 1970s. When looking at prototype photos and videos the A-B-B-A lash ups were always tightly connected with couplers. Not so for some of my HO scale fleet. 

Some of the distances looked to require a pole vault to go from one unit to another! Over the years I've tried the Kadee close coupler conversion kit that closed the gaps slightly but it still looked too big. 

Dissatisfied with that I removed the couplers between the units and added drawbars to several of the Bachmann and Bachmann Plus  EMD sets in the combined fleets. 

In early November my PC Bachmann Plus F7 A-B-A consist had their coupler removed and drawbars installed for close coupling.
A NYC F7B similarly drawbar equipped has been added to make this a A-B-B-A set. A PRR F7 A-B-B-A set is also drawbar equipped and the PC-PRR and NYC units can be mixed an matched.
The drawbars are made from discarded IHC long horn hook couplers with the coupler end and attachment end removed. Looks much better!!
After the Bachmann Plus drawbar project I added drawbars to an Atlas FP7 set. I had done this once before but then went back to couplers and now they are once again drawbar equipped. 

Final Thoughts and Comments
I'm happy with the way the RS2 5229 project turned out. I have one more Penn Central RS2 currently sporting an RS1 number that I want to correct. So far I've been unable to find a  photograph on line or in my PC library. I've put out feelers to various modelers and groups but no luck yet.

Prototype Photo of PC RS2 5229 at Pittsfield Mass in 1974.
Prototype Photo of PC RS2 5229 at W Springfield, Mass in 1974

As for the cab unit drawbar projects I do like the way they look close coupled much more than I did when they had the big spaces between them with the couplers. 

The downside is that this limits there availability to be mixed and matched with hood units which was a prototypical practice. On the plus side I still have an Athearn BB F7A, F7B and some PRR F7As that are coupler equipped for this very purpose. 

Lastly all of the drawbar equipped units can be reverted back to couplers at anytime so there is some flexibility with their uses in the fleet if needed.

Thanks for reading!!!
See You Soon!!!

11 comments:

  1. Great job on bringing PC RS-2 to fruition with the correct road numbers as well as the explanation to go with them. Also the use of the draw bars instead of the couplers seem to do the job for you. Good luck in getting the other RS-2 up to your standards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acknowledge PC #5229 now sporting a prototypical number ! Over the years your interest in more accurate modeling has motivated changes on the N.Y.C.T.L. as well as on my own layout when we discuss them. The draw bar approach does nicely improve the appearance of your consists. I can credit you with two consist on my layout that are more closely coupled together thanks to this idea. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph!!! Glad to know I can be a "good" influence!!!

      Delete
  3. Great looking improvements to the roster 👍🚂 I like your willingness to correct earlier projects and bring them up to your current level. The drawbars really improve the appearance of your F Units. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome Sir John 👍😎 Your comment about not finding any additional photos of PC RS2’s is quite correct. I looked for some as well and I mostly found photos of your model version 🤔 I wonder if the others were assigned new PC numbers and never made it past February 1968 or didn’t stay on the roster very long. You have me curious now. 😉🚂

      Delete
    2. You could be right. Information is conflicting about the RS2s. The PC Bi-Annual by Robert R. Reid reports all PC RS2s retired by the end of 1969. But we have photographic evidence that the 5229 was in service thru 1974. As for the other five whether or not they actually received PC paint and how much lettering remains a mystery. I appreciate you looking for info on them and I'll keep doing the same. I'll let you know is I find out any additional info.

      Delete
    3. Just a thought, this may give the Patti-O paint shop some artistic license to create a scheme. I also looked up PC RS3’s in my search, in the event one of the RS2’s was misidentified. I noticed a trend with them. About half received the scheme that your RS2 is wearing. A large amount of them just got the three worms on the short and the worm on the end of the long hood. If indeed they had a short career with the PC , one might assume they got the bare minimum for a paint scheme. That’s coming from a fan of their “black dip” look. 😉 I was a little disappointed that that Mr. Yanosey didn’t have more information on them. 🚂

      Delete
    4. That is a good thought!! Not many folks would know the difference between an RS2 and RS3. Right now the second model is in a RS1 9942 number and painted like the 8369 was with lettering and no herald. It's been in that scheme for eleven years.

      Delete
    5. I have to laugh at the level of ambition that some of the shop crews put into the merger. I found a picture of a former NYC RS3 in its post merger scheme. All of the NYC identifiers had been painted out. Except the NYC style numbers on the cab. The ultimate in a black dip paint scheme 👍😎 That’s one of the reasons why I hold the PC near and dear. Almost every locomotive is a custom paint job. Particularly in the early months of the merger.

      Delete