New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Saturday, August 29, 2020

Easy Pipe Loads

 Greetings All,

Looking to make easy inexpensive pipe loads?  

A large box of paper straws and a large package of paper cocktail straws came my way from 1:1 Sir Neal of the Atlantic Pacific RR after we agreed you can never have enough pipe loads. 

Sir Neal requested pipes for some of his new 66' long Exact Rail Thrall gondolas and provided dimensions.

HO Scale: Thrall 3564 Gondola - TTX 'Gold Crown'

The project is underway. Here are the 8" long straws glued five across and three high making up twelve loads within the dimensions supplied by 1:1 Sir Neal.

Here are the cocktail straws also glued five across and three high. I used some card stock as a base for both sets of loads.

After a visit to the Patti-O Paint Shop the pipe loads are ready for shipping from Gervais Pipe and Fitting in Empire City. The Empire Belt RR trainmen realize the large pipe load dimensions are beyond any of the gondolas available to them.
The new Gervais crane will get a workout today if the E.B.R.R. can deliver freight cars to handle these long pipe loads.

The Penn Central comes thru and has delivered a large number of flatcars to be used for the long pipe loads. A Bachmann 50' PC flatcar is used as a spacer between Athearn 50' flatcars with their overhanging loads.

The last of the long pipe loads are loaded onto the 50' flatcars.

The cocktail straws fit nicely on either 40' or 50' Athearn BB flatcars.
The Empire Belt RR hauls a long pipe train consisting of commercially made metal pipe loads, coffee stirrer pipe loads and the new paper straw pipe loads towards Terminal Yard.

The Empire Belt brings the train past Bedford Station.


Penn Central C628 #6303 with four additional C628s will bring the pipe train to Selkirk. This is one of my favorite lash ups. 

The Penn Central brings the pipe train back thru Bedford 
and heads for Selkirk.

This was a pretty easy project using the paper straws, Elmer's Glue, card stock and rattle can black spray paint. The pipe loads can be further enhanced with strip wood, banding and weathering should the modeler desire.

If making these loads for Athearn BB gondolas glue the pipes four across instead of the five used for the flat cars. 

Thanks for reading!!!! 

See ya soon!!!


7 comments:

  1. To: Patti-O Paint Shop
    To: N.Y.C.T.L. Management

    From: Sir 1:1 Neal

    Re: Pipe Loads

    Greetings Sir John,

    Those pipe loads came out great! I'm sure the team at Gervais Pipe as well as the Patti -O Paint shop enjoyed this project.

    The crew at Rock Ridge will be on the lookout for the delivery!

    Thank you!

    Sir 1:1 Neal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them 1:1 Sir Neal!!! I look forward t seeing them in use on the A.P.R.R.!!!

      Delete
  2. Hey John! That's quite a train of pipe loads you have there, very well done! The 5 unit lash up of Alco C628's is also impressive. I'm quite fond of the Alco C628 myself. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a total of seven Tyco 40' flatcars with concrete pipe loads. I still have my old Tyco concrete unloader from 1970 which I plan to use. I may need to replace the motor in it, but that won't be an issue. What got me stoked on the Tyco concrete pipe loads and 40' flats was an image I saw online that had several of these coupled together. It looked so neat that I decided to set up a concrete pipe industry. On the flatcars, I will be replacing the plastic wheels with metal ones and I will also be adding coupler boxes fastened to the underside of the car body and add knuckle couplers. All of the flats are missing the brake wheel and staff so I will be adding those. I will paint the pipe loads with a flat grey concrete color. I haven't decided what color to paint the cars yet, or what I.D. decaling to add at the moment. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robert! Thanks for the compliments on the pipe loads and engine consist!
      That seven car purchase is going to give you an interesting project that will pay big dividends. With so few operating accessories in HO scale the concrete unloader will surely be a great addition to your layout.

      My experiences with TYCO upgrades is that the Intermountain wheels worked best for me. They were pretty much drop in replacements with little to no reaming needed.

      I tried to win an ebay auction that included a good number of the TYCO flat cars minus the loads. I thought they would also make good steel coil cars and if I won I would have made Ralph a deal where if he made the steel coils I'd send him some cars.

      Good luck with your project and send some pictures to us as it progresses.

      Enjoy the weekend!!!! Hopefully you have not experienced any of the recent Gulf storms.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the tip on the Intermountain metal wheelsets, I'll be sure to use those! The Gulf storms have already passed over us thankfully, we're only getting occasional showers right now. Thanks again John!

      Delete
  3. Really nice pipe loads made from every day materials! They look very convincing and looked great on the train videos! The powerful line up of Alco C628's including the LV units were a pleasure to watch roll by. That deal about the Tyco flat s sounded good to me! Nice try! In any case, your pipe loads are well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Ralph!!! That brace of C628s is one of my favorite consists. The TYCO deal fell thru when I was skunked by a late bid. If something similar comes along I'll definitely go for it now that I know you are on board with the project.

      Delete