New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Boxcar Rescue

 Greetings All,

Another 40' boxcar has been given a second lease on life. I recently took on a boxcar rescue of an old HO scale 40' boxcar that had been  sitting in my purgatory box. 

The car has been stripped of its scratched up paint and the broken roof walk holes have been plugged. Tichy Train Group stirrup steps will be installed to replace the missing stirrups. I used truck bolster pins from some Atlas models to plug the holes in the roof.

A steel two piece weight is not something I recall seeing. These will be wire brushed and the entire under frame painted rattle can flat black.

An old style horn hook coupler and spring.
New stirrups and new paint.
I used some decals I found in my decal stash to letter TCC 248 as seen at Terminal Yard. The TCC reporting marks and number are from a Microscale Turtle Creek Central set that was included in an old Model Railroader. The Georgia Road decal is from Highball Graphics. Testors Dullcote used to seal the decals get rid of the glossy shine. 
A new brake wheel, Proto 2000 metal wheels and Kadee #5s were added and this car is now ready for revenue service.
 All in all I'm happy this car has a second lease on life.

Thanks for reading!!! 

See ya soon!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hello John! I enjoy your blog.

    I am getting back into model railroading, and I am in the process of building a small layout.

    I have a question about paint, what brand paint do you use? I see Floquil and Polly Scale are discontinued.

    Thanks!
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joel!
      Thanks for reading the blog!! The answer to your question is that all of my car painting is done with rattle can paints. I like Krylon and mostly use that. I've used another brand from Lowe's with good results. For gloss black, flat black, and white I use the 99 cent cans from Lowe's or Walmart.

      Welcome back to the hobby! Good luck with your layout build and paint projects.

      Keep on reading the blog, I have two locomotive paint projects I'll be starting in the upcoming weeks.
      John

      Delete