New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Empire City Station Part 2

Greetings All,

Work continues on the Empire City Station project and here are the latest developments.

Here is Empire City Station as last seen in PCCM 60.
I used some cardstock from a cereal box to mock up the support going over the tracks. I had this in place for awhile but started to dislike the support piece on the platform separating the two left tracks.
The other side shows has a similar support on the platform separating the tracks which are now on your right. These will both be removed as the project progresses. 
I was unsure what to do below station level and ultimately chose to add some foam board shapes that looked like either stairs or an escalator.  
You really have to crane your neck to see this area and the stair shapes supporting the center of the station are unseen from normal viewing angles.
I've cut the end walls out of foam core and opened up the tunnel between the two tracks on the left.
The base portion of the project is starting to come together. Note the stairs / escalator supports are barely if at all visible. 
John Bruce of Model Railroad Miscellany fame complimented the structure in EC Station part 1 saying it reminded him of Penn Station Baltimore. I googled photos of this and noted among other cool items a cut for taxicabs to access the front of the station. I've mocked that up here. Thanks for the heads up John!!
The area across from Penn Station Baltimore is a nice open space with some greenery. I had a Woodland Scenics Memorial Park kit under the layout for over ten years waiting to be built and added to the layout. This looks like the perfect place for it. I've assembled the picnic benches and painted the metal castings rattle can gray.
Here is the newly installed Memorial Park. A perfect place to relax, BBQ and enjoy the hustle and bustle of Empire City Station. 
The roads and some of the sidewalks are now in place. Still lots to do though.  
The park has been populated and the scene is coming to life. Now I need to paint all these unpainted figures. Ugh.... Not my favorite part of the hobby.
One other thing I noted in the Penn Station Baltimore photos was a number of food trucks surrounding the open area. Hmm... 
It's Food Truck Friday!!!
So there's plenty more to do and I hope to have the scene pretty much completed within the next week. I'll post a Part 3 blog entry showing the mostly finished scene later this week if all goes well. Special thanks to John B. for the heads up on the Penn Station Baltimore and all that has evolved from that.        
Thanks for reading!!!
See ya soon!!!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, it looks really good! Preiser a long time ago had a set of panhandling hippies, that, corresponding to the 60s-70s PC era, might fit well if you can find them! Heck, I'm inclined to add panhandling panhandlers to my layout, too, but they're harder to find now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments and the tip about the Penn Station in Baltimore. The panhandlers sound like they would be an interesting addition. I'll keep my eyes open for some. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Station scene looks great! The park is an awesome idea. I wish 30 St. Station in Philly had a park like that! It would make for a great early fall Saturday, burgers & (root)beer watching ACELA trains in and out. Then stroll over to Franklin Field for some Penn football. What a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K.K.!! I agree it would be very cool to have something like at or near a station that overlooks the trains. Forget the 'root' I'll just have the beer!

      Delete
  3. That came out great! The detail on the picnic benches, monument adds a lot of realism to the area. Looks like ECPD is all over the area. Nice touch with the food trucks, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 1:1 Sir Neal!! As they say the ECPD is omnipresent!

      Delete
  4. Empire Station is looking mighty fine John! Nice work with the additional details. I like the hint of an escalator or stairway underneath at track level. The park area looks inviting even though it appears to be "clothing optional" right now! Looks like the Kings Port Raifan Society has once again caught the attention of Local Law Enforcement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Ralph!! Well it is the 60s with free love and clothing optional doesn't sound too far fetched. Wish I posted this before I set about painting those figures! The KPRS Bug is iconic in the 1/87th scale train world and seems to constantly work its way into whatever scenes I'm putting together. I noted two separate law enforcement agencies pulled them over in this one blog post alone!

      Delete