New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Penn Central Close Enough N5G Caboose Project

Greetings All,

While rummaging thru my purgatory box I came across a forgotten Life Like center cupola caboose that had been sent to me in a box of train goodies by fellow modeler, blogger and P.C.C.M. Participant John B. The caboose had been stripped with additional weight added and was basically ready for paint. 

I had previously painted a pair of Life Like cabooses for my Penn Central fleet as N5G cabooses. Far from being prototypically correct they did make for good looking models. So I grabbed my can of rattle can Jade Green spray paint from American Slings and got to work. 

The Penn Central class N5G cabooses consisted of sixteen units that were purchased in three batches from the Lehigh Valley RR in 1968. The N5Gs were painted and renumbered PC 18400-18405 and PC 18417-18426. For this project I chose #18423

The prototype 18423 is ex LV 95078 that was built on July 8, 1939. It was sold to the Penn Central on June 6, 1968. It served the PC until the end and was conveyed to Conrail where it was scrapped on February 11, 1977 after almost forty years of service. 

Here is the caboose after being painted. The American Slings jade green goes on pretty thick so be careful and allow a few days for it to dry and cure before handling. Patience Grasshopper!
John B had started this project and was kind enough to have filled the bolsters with styrene, drilled them out for 2-56 screws and installed pads for the coupler boxes. The trucks are from an Athearn BB caboose I hadn't used in a long time.
With the trucks and a set of Kadee couplers installed
The all important Kadee Height Gauge test. Perfect! Nice work John B!

Several days later at the Patti O Paint shop the caboose gets its roof and cupola painted black.
The decals have been applied and are solvasetting.
Back at the Kadee Height Gauge with P-2000 metal wheels installed and the steps and rails brush painted yellow.
Penn Central 18423 poses at Terminal Yard. Clear plastic 'window glass has been added. 
The 18423 poses with two older brothers, the 18418 and 18401. All are Life Like products.
1/87th scale Big Mike laments the loss of another Lehigh Valley caboose to the Penn Central while PC Ralph and Alco Joe console him while admiring the paint job.
For additional modeling tips for these Life Like cabooses and other PC scratch built caboose projects check out Ralph's Cabooses Thread on the Big Blue Forum.


Thanks for reading!!


8 comments:

  1. The Patti-O Paint shop does it again! Nice work and the history behind the caboose. I think someone should give 1/87th Big Mike a shot of some Cavendish. that should help soothe the pain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close enough indeed! Very nice work creating a convincing Penn Central N5G! Thanks for the reminder about American Slings Jade Green. The color looks right to me! Your caboose fleet is looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I'm still loading up another box with projects like these. It's really satisfying to see them come out so well! I admire your intestinal fortitude in following through with these vintage items -- I lost enthusiasm for these projects when the newer versions came out. Great work! I think I have a Life Like that I'd stripped as I did the one you got, but I added WM style screen-grates on the windows. Maybe I need to revisit this, or maybe send it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments John!! I've benefited much from your generosity and really appreciate it. As you know I enjoy working on the older equipment and am very thankful you've given me the opportunity to do that. I look forward to receiving any other train goodies you care to send my way and will give them a good home.

      Delete
  4. Really sharp looking caboose project and save from the Purgatory box from across the country. 1/87 PC Ralph and Alco Joe hooked up Big Mike with a package of Mallomars to smooth over the LV caboose transformation. I found out this weekend, in addition to being passionate about GP30’s, he really despises cyclone spark arrestors on first generation locomotives. 😉. Great looking “hack” should be a fine addition to the roster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Brian!! Kudos to 1/87th scale Alco Joe and PC Ralph for calming Big Mike down with this Mallomars. Good thinking! He certainly does dislike those spark arrestors!!

      Delete