New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Friday, November 2, 2018

Cheapie Gons & Homemade Scrap Loads

Greetings All,


After watching various train videos I really started to like the look of the long strings of gondolas loaded with scrap metal that I saw on some of the trains. These loaded gons could be seen in large quantities in both modern and vintage freight train consists.

Wanting to replicate that on my layout I looked to add a couple of more gondolas to my fleet and attempt to make my own scrap loads from the container of model railroading 'scrap' that I've accumulated over the years.  


I saw a couple of cheapie gons on ebay and took the plunge grabbing this Mehano Reading gondola. As advertised the Mehano gondola is one of the world's finest running HO freight cars! I've brush painted the deck gray.
It's running like a world class gondola now! Talgo couplers cut from the trucks, Kadee #5s have been body mounted and Intermountain wheelsets have been added.
The second purchase was this Lima CB&Q gondola.
Talgo mounted couplers cut off, body mounted Kadee #5s installed. Kadee metal wheels added and this cheapie gon now runs smooth!
Both new gons with Chooch wrapped machinery loads.  
I took out the bulk of my gondola fleet and placed them in Terminal Yard to weigh my options and get some measurements. Much to my surprise I had twenty gondolas that could use scrap loads!
This was definitely not a one size fits all project so I cut and labeled the individual foam board bases. The scrap load in the foreground was made by 1:1 PC Ralph and served as a prototype and inspiration for the project.
Next I painted the bases flat black being careful not to paint over the identifying data. Don't laugh I've done it before!
Next was getting into the scrap box, selecting the scrap and getting it ready for installation. I organized the twenty car project using the various bins seen below.
Using prodigious amounts of Elmers and Aileens white glues here are the scrap loads glued to their bases.
After a visit to the Patti-O Paint Shop the loads are painted and look oily which is not a bad look.
After adding some Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders the loads look much better.
The new scrap loads are installed. The E.B.R.R. car is from I.H.C.
Scratch built scrap loads commingle with some factory loads. 
We got the scrap!
The CB&Q Lima gon being trailed by two P-2000 gons with all featuring homemade scrap loads. 
A train of gondolas loaded with scrap heads over the High Line
If this was a virtual ops move our favorite scrap metal dealer from West Mill NY would be having a heart attack when he sees what I'm sending him!

Thanks for reading!!! 

11 comments:

  1. Nice conversions of those inexpensive gons and creative use of materials to make all of those scrap loads! Sal's Salvage in West Mill wishes they had more track space to accommodate all of those carloads! That rusting scrap means dollar signs to
    Sal! Good idea to label the underside of the loads to match with the cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Ralph!!! We both know that as we speak Sal Monella of the West Mill Monella Crime Family is busy at work trying to corner the scrap steel market!

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the scrap load project! It always pays to save all parts from whatever you have laying around from other projects! They came out great. As always, the Patti-O paint shop gets high marks on this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sir Neal!!! You're right is always pays to save all the extra crap from past projects for future scrap projects.

      Delete
  3. Yes, they're very nice. I do a lot of railfanning from an overpass at UP's West Colton Yard, so I get to take down-on photos of loads. They can be challenging! Some common ones out here are metal scraps that seem to be fed through a blender like thing. Still trying to figure out how to model them. Even tea leaves from an old tea bag might work, come to think of it. Have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John!! Check with Ralph. Some of his scrap loads may have the look you describe.

      Delete
  4. Another fine project compliments of the Purgatory box and Patti-O paint shop. Great looking gondola fleet, I spotted a nice looking New Haven covered gondola and a sharp looking “block lettered” Rock Island gondola. Really great looking project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian!!! Good eye, you spotted two of my favorite gons!

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on the scrap loads. I think I will do the same- I have plenty of castaways needing a few shades of oxide. With those nice scrap loads, have you ever thought of painting the interior of the gons to look equally rusty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J.F.! This was definitely an economical project that paid good dividends. You're right that the gons do look too clean. I have given thought to weathering the gons to reflect their usage. I'll probably try the Doc O'Brien's weathering powders so I can wash off anything I don't like.

      Delete

    2. Hi Jade Fog,
      I took your advice on my latest gon project
      https://newyorkcentrallayout.blogspot.com/2019/09/new-gons-loads.html
      This led to me revisiting my existing gondola fleet and weathering them as well. I'll be posting that in the upcoming weeks. Thanks for the inspiration.
      Best regards,
      John

      Delete