New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Friday, October 27, 2017

Possible Commuter Train Ops For The N.Y.C.T.L.

Greetings All,

This past week I did a little scenery work in and around Terminal Yard that included adding some figures to the passenger platform and began examining possible commuter operations for the N.Y.C.T.L. 

I'll be toying around with the commuter operations more as the Terminal Yard expansion moves further towards completion. Over the course of a couple of days I toyed with several options. Let's take a look at some of the preliminary ideas and consists.

First up here are my commuters. I sprayed them with Testor's Dullcote to prepare them for repainting. The figures are 1/100 scale and look to fit into some of my passenger cars very nicely.
The last of the 1/100 scale standing figures have been glued in place on the platform. I also added about five feet of Lichen behind the wall for some depth and color.   
Some burnt grass was added to the newest facades where the buildings meet the retaining wall. 
Speaking of The Facades here's three of them waiting on the New Haven RDC3s. These two RDC3's are Athearn BB products and neither one is powered. An NYC RDC3 from Proto 1000 is at the rear of the consist and that one is powered.  
With the RDCs having departed a commuter train featuring Atlas PC GP38 #7675 (The 'Sir Larry'), six Model Power PRR passenger cars manufactured in Brazil and an Atlas FP7 on the rear rolls into Terminal Yard. The Model Power cars came with metal wheels and I equipped them with body mounted knuckle couplers many moons ago. They worked very well in this set up. I like this train!
Here's the FP7 at the other end of the commuter train. The NYC GP20 continues as Terminal Yard power and is tacking the caboose on a departing ore train. The ore train is part of some intra layout moves I need to make to prepare for P.C.C.M. 41. I'll cover those in the next blog entry.
A Bachmann NYC Doodlebug with two Athearn BB HW NYC chair cars at the platform. eh......probably not going to make the final cut. I do like the white face and stripes though! 
Here's another attempt at a commuter consist this time with NYC 72' streamlined passenger cars from Athearn. I tried this one with  engines at one end and and RDC cab control car at the other end. The passenger cars have talgo mounted couplers and that was a mess to say the least. The two NYC engines are MRC Platinum units. They'd be perfect in this assignment.
Looking at the NYC consist we can see an RDC3 that I was using as a cab control car for this end of the train on the left. Looking at the passenger cars chosen we have two coaches on each end and two vista domes sandwiching a diner acting as a snack car. What strikes me as a no go here is it's almost impossible to enter or exit the train. Not counting the RDC there are two doors between the remaining five cars. Not a good idea for a commuter train.
Back to the drawing board I came up with this four car set of Bachmann Spectrum coaches (one is a combine) with a P-2000 NYC GP7 on each end. 
NYC 5756 is boiler equipped. The GP7s look good at each end and this train looks to be a keeper.  
This four car set of ACF coaches from Walthers is another strong possibility. A Proto 1000 RS2 at each end looks good and worked well in this configuration.
 Does this say commuter train? I think so.
Substituting the MRC Platinum NYC F7s for the RS2s is another possibility. These F7s are boiler equipped. 
I rummaged around under the layout and pulled out my son's PRR Spectrum passenger cars. Using three coaches and one combine I added his PRR E8A and a non powered Athearn BB F7A to the  other end. 
Not to be outdone by the PRR train the train foreman has assigned this NYC E7A to this commuter train.
Here's a video of it starting up and moving out.
I think the commuter trains will become a part of the ritual for the N.Y.C.T.L. operations. Having them with an engine at each end makes them simple to operate. The NYC GP7s, RS2s and F7As need the work so we'll give it to them! I know the NYC did not have F7As with boilers or in the gray lightning stripe scheme. They didn't have FL9s either but don't tell the commuters who rode into Manhattan behind them on the Metro North RR.
Image result for NYC FL9
 Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Look at all of those people! It certainly looks as if there is a demand for commuter service!! The newly ballasted Terminal Yard with passenger platform is a nice place to showcase the several trains you are considering. I especially like the NYC trains (the RS led train is a classic) but all look mighty fine, including the vintage Doodlebug which maybe could be run as a fan trip or perhaps used when the line is very busy and pressed for coming up with equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the kind words Ralph!!! The RS2 train was one of my favorites also. Thanks for the Doodlebug suggestion! I' had not thought about the fan trip or the uh oh we're short on equipment today angles! The fan trip sounds like something we may be seeing soon!

      Delete
  2. Commuter trains on the N.Y.C.T.L.! That’s going to add some great times when you have an operating session. I have to agree with Ralph. The NYC train with the RS-3 gets my vote. What about an LIRR commuter trains? Is there one on the horizon? The LIRR has been and still is the ‘KING’ of commuter trains. You do know passenger trains take priority over freight trains? I can see EE having his way with the NYC commuter train. At least all of those figures you’re painting will be put to good use. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the nice comments 1:1 Sir Neal!! The RS2 train is quite popular. I agree about the L.I.R.R. and I'll be taking a second look at my L.I.R.R. passenger set. I may have to put EE with the PRR passenger trains so I don't have to worry about any rivalry shenanigans!

      Delete
  3. Those look awfully good! I vote for the two-tone gray cars with RSs or geeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! That's three votes for the RS2s! I like the RS2s and Geeps as well in this role. The gray F units may have to relegated to back up power.

      Delete
  4. Wow, passenger comes to the NYCTL in a big way. So many great train combinations to see. that doodlebug is always a fan favorite. That NYC E-7 really looks sharp as does that Proto 1000 RS2. I can't find a favorite, they are all cool. I guess that PRR was just a polite token train for the benefit of the likely only PRR fan (me). Thanks for the thought. My only question is why have these beauties never been part of the ops before? They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Double E! I haven't gotten them into the mix because....Well heck I can't find a valid reason. Next time your over we'll run them! I'll even leave the PRR trains on the layout for you!

      Delete