New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Terminal Yard Upgrades Part 2

Greetings All,

Work has continued at Terminal Yard this past week and the end result has me quite pleased. I spent the better part of several hours ballasting the yard after adding the passenger platform to the right. Passenger trains are a big part of my modeling and this would be a good place to have my trains travel to from Empire City Station. A word on ballasting: Tedious.

A passenger platform with some greenery has been added and the next round of ballasting has begun.
Gotta have a platform for my 1/87th scale rail passengers. Of course now I have to paint more figures. These projects never stop!
That yard tower may or may not end up in the final plans. It'll probably be moved several time to see where exactly it will fit in without interfering with the scenic views and switch throws. 
And the ballasting is done! I even added a little greenery at the left to break up the gravel look and give the yard some color. I also used a black paint wash between the rails to simulate the leaking oil and grease.

Since we have a passenger platform let's check it out with a passenger train. 
NYC GP20 #6107 leads two more GP20s and a freight train over the weigh in motion scale on track 9. This has promise and I'll upgrade the 'scale' with something that looks more like a scale. 
 PC E8A #4072 and E7A #4210 run around their train on track 2.
A five unit lash up of NYC, PC, PRR and EBRR locomotives head to the not yet operational engine terminal on track #8
With an actual ops with Double E and a virtual ops, P.C.C.M.#40, coming up it was time to clear the layout. E.E. and I ran some a double stack trains during our last ops session. The blue CSX Intermodal husky stack car with the Con-Quest and Genstar containers is dear to my heart. I actually worked for two of the three companies.
With some trains now in the picture Terminal Yard is looking more like a railroad yard. 
Here's Terminal Yard a few months ago in P.C.C.M. 35.













Here's Terminal Yard awaiting the arrival of incoming freight trains for P.C.C.M. 40.

Thanks for reading!!!


6 comments:

  1. That yard looks absolutely amazing! I like your ballast work that you've done. Yes, it's very tedious. Looking forward to the final outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks great!!!! Ballasting is a pain but look at the wonderful results you have achieved. Terminal Yard, the former unscenicked plain wood staging area is now fully part of the layout and a new background for excellent photos of your rolling stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terminal Yard is looking sharp!!! Your upgrades really bring out the layout. With all of the traffic going in and out of the yard, I could see my 1:87 self spending lots of time with a camera on the passenger platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Brian! After five years the TY upgrade was due. I think I'd be right along side you rail fanning! I'll see about getting some restaurants installed close by in case we get hungry or thirsty!

      Delete