New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Locomotive Spotlight #5A-2023 / EMD GP35 Follow Up

 Greetings All,

Welcome back to another Locomotive Spotlight!!!
 
In Locomotive Spotlight #5-2023 we took a good look at both the prototype and the 1:87 scale models used on my layout. Today we'll take a look at some improvements to the models and add another GP35 to the fleet.
"5/12/78, CS GP35 3554" by OHFalcon72 is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/2.0/jp/?ref=openverse.

After photographing the GP35 models I wasn't pleased with the numerals in the number boards of some of the GP35s and worked to correct that. I also added another GP35 to the combined fleet as I was putting the GP35 blog post together.
"4/26/76, CR GP35 3676 (ex. EL 2570)" by OHFalcon72 is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/2.0/jp/?ref=openverse.
 
Here is an example of my discontent about the number board numerals. The black numbers on white background are prototypical for the EL GP35 #2570 as seen above but the word perfect adhesive mailing labels fall short when viewed up close. Maybe if I had painted the clear "glass" white it would look better. Too late for that now.

Improving Current GP35 Models
B&O GP35 #3508 number board numerals are what I wanted to add to the rest of the GP35 fleet and that B&O F7A. The B&O #3509 is the new engine mentioned earlier and has just received its numbers.


That's much better!!! I scrounged thru numerous decal packets to find appropriate sized and colored numerals.

The combined GP35 fleet looks much better now!! I'm ready for my close up Mr. DeMille!!! 

A New GP35 Joins The Combined Fleet
So what are the odds that while working on the GP35 Locomotive Spotlight post my LHS would have a big sale and one of the first items I find is this Athearn BB GP35 dummy unit? Pretty good I'd say because here it is still new in the box.


A minor mistake on my part shows in the discolored area around the number boards. I like to install the metal handrails and spray them with Testor's Dullcote prior to brush painting them with hobby paint to match the color of the locomotive. I did this but should have added the numerals first as the Walthers Solvaset discolored the clear coat.
 
I mixed some blue and black hobby paint and painted over the discolored area. Under a spotlight you can discern the minor color difference which isn't readily visible under normal viewing conditions
 
Another stroke of good fortune is that this unit, number 3509 is one number off from B&O GP35 #3508 that is already in the fleet. Here it is awaiting final assembly. One ounce of weight and Kadee #5 couplers have been added.

Coupler check looks good to me. If you look closely you can see I even brush painted the wheel faces with burnt umber.

And another B&O GP35 lash up is born!!!

A Late Observation
By the way, did anyone notice that the APRR GP35s are riding on Alco / AAR type B trucks instead of the EMD Blomberg trucks? I was so busy admiring the paint scheme I missed this the first time around.
Photo by 1:1 Sir Neal. Used with permission.

Railroads known to have purchased GP35s with trade in Alco / AAR trucks were the GM&O, Southern, Ann Arbor, TP&W, Frisco and Soo Line.
"Gulf Mobile & Ohio EMD GP35 640" by Digital Rail Artist is marked with CC0 1.0. To view the terms, visit https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/?ref=openverse.
Southern 2651 sporting Alco type B trucks.
"Southern 2651 (GP35)" by Gary Lee Todd, Ph.D. is marked with CC0 1.0. To view the terms, visit https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/?ref=openverse.

Final Thoughts and Comments
When the spotlight shined on the GP35 combined fleet things that were once satisfactory were no longer satisfactory. Case in point were the numerals in the number boards. In 2010 the word perfect number board numerals were easy to make and a big plus for the many models that lacked them. 

With thirteen years of painting, decal experience under my belt since then and a plethora of decals on hand I now had the skills and materials to upgrade these units so I took the time to make that happen. The GP35 fleet is better looking as a result. 

Additional GP35 information

Thanks for reading!!!
See you soon!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hello John. I have thoroughly enjoyed your GP35 spotlight. This is one locomotive that has always been a favorite of mine. I was fortunate to see firsthand the GP35's of the GM&O in the late seventies, of course they were owned by the Illinois Central at that time, but several of them remained in their original paint scheme for many years. Great work on your number board project. I know how tricky that can be. For me sometimes, the number board decals would go on fine without much trouble and then sometimes it was a total bust. Thank you for sharing the model and prototype pictures and information on the GP35!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert, Glad you enjoyed the GP35 spotlights. I envy you having seen them in action since the only trains I saw regularly were graffitied NYCTA subway cars. I've come to like the GP35s on the layout. They give a modern appearance even if their bodies are a bit wide, have a short wheelbase and are reliable runners.
      As you know first hand fighting with the numerals for the number boards can be a big pain in the butt and at times they were just that in this project. Take care, John

      Delete
  2. Great work on enhancing those engines. Back in the day, most manufacturers left off those small little details that make the engines look 'just right'. You've gone the extra mile to do that with those engines. I do remember seeing the NYCTA subway cars with the graffiti look on them. Quite the artistry work on some of those cars...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sir Neal!!! The NYCTA subway cars of the 70's were a blight on the system. Their was some decent looking vandalism but it was just that. Unfortunately I rode these homeless infested urine smelling trains a lot.

      Delete