New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Scrounged Highway Overpasses

 Greetings All,

Scrounge: To obtain free layout materials before they go into the dumpster and would require a Dumpster Dive.😊

A recent home improvement project offered the opportunity to scrounge some vinyl pieces that looked like decent sized HO scale roadways.

The scrounged vinyl protective packing for new windows from the home improvement project.

Here's the first overpass spanning the aisle between Empire City and Bedford dropped in place.

The overpass was spray painted with rattle can gray primer and four inch "Play Tape" was cut to fit and used for the roadway.

I prefer the two way traffic look here so my signs are correctly positioned. If I come across some yellow striping I'll add that to the center of the roadway over the dashed white stripes.

This sign was at the Brooklyn Queens border on the Belt Parkway.

The overpass or bridge is an easy drop in affair and is over 52" off the floor. It's an easy duck under but I'll take it down when operating this side of the layout. After so many years without it I'm afraid I'll forget it's there and crash into it! 

The second overpass has been installed spanning the Pier 16 Yard area of the layout. Entering the room the Pier 16 area is to the left and the overpass is a nice focal point.

I tried my hand at a little forced perspective and called upon my days working in the Bronx where the Manhattan approach to the George Washington Bridge went under the "Apartments" and was usually backed up all the way into the Bronx.

Rattle can gray primer, Play Tape, a printed sign and a highway gantry from a either a Hotwheels or Matchbox set complete the overpass.  

Atlas bridge piers are used to support the overpass. I added some foam core strips to raise the height of the overpass to allow for Auto Rack and Double Stack Container clearance.

I like the way the trains look coming under the overpass as they enter and exit the Pier 16 yard and Pier 16 Grain Silos. 

Benny, Chooch, Easy and TC from the Kings Port Railfan Society enjoy the view from their VW bug as they head for home.

The Pier 16 yard area is now more defined as the overpass acts as a scene divider.

This was a nice easy project and I'm happy with the way these overpasses turned out.  

Thanks for reading!!

See ya soon!!

6 comments:

  1. I like the overpasses you have created from the window packaging material John! Nice, neat, and creates quite an impressive effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you Robert R!!! The scrounged material was a nice bonus from the window job.

      Delete
  2. That's some great creative work! I really like the forced perspective lanes going under the 'apartment scene' so to speak. Both roads came out great. I do hope you have some yellow 'warning' tape to put on each side as I would hope you would not walk into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 1:1 Sir Neal!!! I can definitely see myself crashing into the overpass spanning the aisle. Layout awareness and memory movements over the years do not include the overpass so it would need a trip wire and siren warning for me not to hit into it.

      Delete
  3. Great save from the recycle bin! They make perfect overpasses so frequently seen over the tracks. I had not noticed the white lines on the Road Tape. Good catch! Of course with your previous background, that would be something you would be keenly aware of. Nice little project to add some detail to the layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ATJOE!!! I'm kicking myself I didn't grab more of them. I could have built an entire Eisenhower Interstate System and put the layout out of business!

      Delete