New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Friday, July 10, 2020

Last Trip to Local Hobby Shop?

Greetings All,

On June 19th, 2020 I made my final trip to my local Hobby Shop, Trainmaster Models in Buford Georgia. Trainmaster announced it was closing it's doors at the Buford Store effective June 20th. 

The building and property has been for sale for about two years now. Whether it is actually sold is unknown as they are playing their cards very close to their vests.Whether they reopen a brick and mortar location in my general area is undetermined at this time.


I took a good look at the last of the stores used offerings that had a 50% discount on their price and purchased the below items. 
LV 40' boxcar #65050 is a Rail Runner Custom Painted Athearn BB product. 
The car weight and under frame were painted flat black with Kadee underset shank couplers and Proto 2000 metal wheels installed.
The Lehigh Valley 65050 is representative of LV 40' ex 62000 series PS 1 boxcars that were sold to US Railway Equipment for rebuilding from 1969 - 1973 and then leased back by the Lehigh Valley with new reporting marks 65000 - 65069.
All in all a nice looking rugged Athearn model with an opening door. Prototypical modelers of the LV would find that the Youngstown door is better suited for the 66000 series AAR rebuilds by Bethlehem Steel during the same period. The USRE rebuilds had Superior doors. This is not a problem for me, I'll live with it.  
Prototype photos of LV 65050 show an ACI label next to the COTS panels so I added that.
This older Life Like LV 66392 recently shown in P.C.C.M. 74 is a good representative of the Bethlehem Steel rebuilds from 1973 numbered 66380 - 66524.
The LV 66393 had an ACI label adjacent the data under the LV herald so that was added to LV 66392 which also serves as a track cleaning car. Look for it in future virtual ops! 
Next we have an older Athearn Blue Box Soo Line 50' boxcar that has been added to the fleet. After 25 years in the hobby I found this is my first piece of Soo Line rolling stock. The model is a good representative of a prototype Soo Line car. 
Soo Line RBL #177850 is perfect for loading the adhesive backed rolls of printed labels manufactured by Berk Enterprises.  
The under frame of the car and metal weight have been painted with rattle can flat black. The car has received Intermountain metal wheels and Kadee #5 couplers. Note the small screw that fixed the drooping coupler box. 
As an avid fan of T.OF.C. and tractor trailers in general this Athearn Blue Box Navajo tractor trailer kit was a nice find.
The tractor and trailer are fulled assembled parked at Moore & Co with the rear rims painted red like the prototype Navajo trailer .
Here's the Navajo Trailer crossing the Empire City viaduct on an ATSF 10-Pack Fuel Foiler set of spine cars from Athearn.
Last but not least was something I never saw before. HALSAM Skyline kit #93 was manufactured circa 1962. It was discontinued when Plaskool bought out Halsam in January 1962.

HALSAM Products Company
 
Not sure if all the pieces are present but there were a lot of them.
I spent a rainy afternoon building the newest Empire City skyscraper. Assembly was pretty easy once I figured out how the pieces had to go together following the photos in the color pages above.
There is no glue required and the building is very sturdy. The kit comes with blue tinted plastic windows that I did not apply. I'll keep it like this for awhile to make sure I like it and then dismantle it for painting. Or maybe I'll build something else?
While I was very happy with my model railroad finds it was a  bittersweet day of close out shopping at Trainmaster Models. I do hope the reopen a brick and mortar location somewhere near me. Last report was an estate auction that was held the weekend following the store closure.


Thanks for reading!!!
See ya soon!!!



8 comments:

  1. It's a shame that our LHS stores are a dying breed. When I lived in NY I always went to Willis Hobbies in Mineola. He shut his doors to retire.

    On a positive note, glad to see you picked up some nice equipment to add to the layout. The SOO Line box car is nice. Always liked the look of that logo, even though I never modeled the railroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willis Hobbies is closed too.☹ That store, Nassau Hobby and Trainworld were the the backbone of the LI train modeling suppliers. Sad to hear they closed.

      Thanks for the compliments on the purchases!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the closure of the hobby shop. While I don't tend to frequent my own local hobby shop all that much I do make an effort to look there before purchasing things online and have found some nice deals from time to time. As Neal noted it is a shame when one of these stores closes.

    I like your finds! The rolling stock selections are nice and you did your usual fine job refining them to meet N.Y.C.T.L. standards! The Navajo trailer is a classic and looks great parked at loading bays and mounted as a TOFC. I'm not familiar with the Halsam Skyline set but that skyscraper was MADE for Empire City! It looks right in place near the other high rise in your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they find a suitable location for reopening a location close to my house. I didn't go there every week or month but went there at least quarterly. They've gotten a good bit of money from me over the years. I used them to special order or advance order several times which was a win-win for both.

      Thanks for the compliments on the finds!! That HALSAM kit was very unique and I'm glad I grabbed it.

      Delete
  3. Always sad to lose the LHS, but you did well in the deals you judiciously claimed there. The Skscraper building set is a great easy way to get an extra skyscraper or two. I found a set like that a few years ago at a flea market and snapped it up quickly. For more modern skyscrapers, if you're in the market to add more congestion to the EBRR, is to start scouting for Girder and Panel sets by Kenner, I believe. I had 2 skyscraper kits and one bridge kit as a kid in the 70s. They are pretty much HO scale as well. That way you can really go vertical. Love the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jade Fog, thanks for reading the blog and thanks for the tip about the Kenner Girder & Panel Sets. I googled them and they have a lot of potential for my layout. Stay cool!

      Delete
  4. I've been watching this blog for some time and just noted that you are using fibreboard tie flex track! I haven't seen that in ages- the 1980s to be precise, when my family bought second-hand track for our railroad empire. I noted this detail in the photo of the LV boxcar on its side. But if it works- no reason to change it- it matches the fine old locos and freight cars that still work as they were intended to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye Jade Fog!! Much of this layout is built with second hand and maybe even third hand track including that Atlas fiber tie flex track. I got a bunch of it for a great price from a club layout that was making changes to their layout when I started the shelf portion of this layout. So far no issues with it and there are other areas of the layout with some pieces of it here and there.

      Thanks for taking the time to continue to read and comment!!!

      Delete