New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Friday, February 14, 2020

Say Hello To The 1693!!!

Greetings All,

Penn Central F7A #1693 has just been released from the paint shop and gets looked over by the 1/87th scale Terminal Yard trainmen. 
The 1693 is a Bachmann Plus model and joins Bachmann Plus F7B #3429 and F7A #1862 giving me a powered A-B-A set.
The A-B-As back into the engine terminal to pick up a pair of F7As for additional power to handle today's heavy tonnage.
These F7As are dummy Bachmann pancake motor units and are really just along for the ride. 
A 1/87th scale Sir Neal has been painted in the engineers seat.
The 1693 leads the five unit consist at RA Tower.

Watch the F7s buzz the tower and deal with the lower level grades.


On another day PC F7A #1693 with 1/87th scale Sir Neal at the throttle leads a five unit lash up thru Bedford NY. My usual coupling method for F7As and Bs is by drawbar as I like the close coupling look. With these PC engines I'm using couplers as the PC used the F7As & Bs in many different consists like the one below. 
This five unit set features three powered and two non powered engines. The 1693, F7B #3429 and GP30 #2228 are powered. Cab units and hood units mixing and mingling. Oh my!
A short time later PC F7A #1862 with 1/87th scale engineer PC Ralph leads another five unit mixed consist out of Terminal Yard. This is also a power-dummy-power-dummy-power lashup.
A lucky rail fan hits the daily double catching both trains at the Empire City viaduct. 1/87th scale Sir Neal in the 1693 is heading for Selkirk while PC Ralph in the 1862 on the lower level heads for Putnam Jct. via the Harlem Branch.  
I hope the guys are back in time for the next P.C.C.M!!!

By using couplers on these F7As and Bs I've increased their single use versatility and I'm not bound to keep them in an A-A or A-B-A consist. That is the good news. The bad news is the increased space between the units when they are consisted. I have used the Kadee #452 close coupling kits in the past but ended up removing them for the drawbar method. For now these three units will remain with the couplers installed to take advantage of using them in different consists just like the 1:1 Penn Central. 

Thanks for reading and watching!!!
See ya soon!!!

12 comments:

  1. Have you tried Kadee short shank couplers? They could be of at least some help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I have and there is no appreciable difference.

      Delete
  2. Great job on the 1693 John! I don't know why, but I've always been intrigued by the look of the PC emblem on the nose of a black F or E unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert!! The simple PC utilitarian look kind of grows on you... Look what happened to me!

      Delete
  3. Great job on the new PC engine to the fleet. I'm sure 1/87th Sir Neal enjoyed the ride and comfort in the engine. The F units do look cool in consist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments 1:1 Sir Neal!!!

      Delete
    2. Now I'm thinking you need an "F" units on parade video showcasing the fleet!

      Delete
    3. Hey, that's a great idea!! I'll try and do that in the near future.

      Delete
  4. F7s being one of my favorite locomotives, I'm very happy to see the latest motive power on the N.Y.C.T.L.! The A-B-A set is classically symmetrical but I enjoy those mixed consists of cab and hood units as well! The lashups on the two trains in your last photo of the Selkirk bound freight over the Harlem Branch are wonderfully Penn Central!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph!!! I'm a big fan of the A-B-A consist but the more PC photos and videos I see the more I like them mixed in with the hood units. Thanks for the Harlem Branch enlightenment!!

      Delete
  5. Great looking engine! love those first generation diesels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K.K.!!! I agree, those 1st generation diesels are a thing of industrial beauty.

      Delete