New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Friday, June 14, 2019

RA Tower and other Scenery Enhancements

Greetings All,

Over the past few weeks I've been working on enhancing some of the layout scenery paying particular attention to some of the ballasted areas. My ballast is sifted from a bag of Paver Base that I bought for less than $4.00 at a home improvement store. When I put it down I just tamped it in place with a foam brush and left it as is. Recently I've taken to glueing it in place with diluted Elmer's Glue after soaking the material with Isopropyl alcohol.

First to get a scenery upgrade was is the area at RA Tower.  Here is RA Tower as introduced back on April 19, 2019
I've added a tool shed and storage container along with some red barrels and crates. This area was a bit tricky as it sits in shadow so going with the brighter colors worked well for me.

Track sections, ties and rusty barrels sit trackside in this area which gets much better light. The glued down paver base ballast makes it darker adding a little more of a prototype feel.
I've added a forklift and glued down the scenic details in the forefront. 
A work train makes an appearance and drops off some more sections of track.
I think this little area of RR ROW supplies compliments the scene and adds some nice diversity to the NYCTL train line up. 
A pair of NYC GP7s lead a freight train past RA Tower and thru the newly upgraded curve.
You can see the dark to light scenery challenges under the High Line in this photo. While examining that I noticed that RA Tower was leaning a bit to the left.
The newly straightened RA Tower is open for business.
I next turned my attention to the upper level and glued in the ballast from the Bedford curve onto the Vanderbilt Bridge and then the mainline all the way to Hohman Ave tower just outside North Side Yard. 
The High Line.
West Side curve.
Here is a before shot from January 2019;
This is the west side curve with it's darker ballast and some additional junk added to the scene.
The Terminal Yard extension ballast was also glued down resulting in a darker more busy railroad look.
Before: In an April 2019 PCCM;
After:
The curves at the bottom of the photo are as far as the scenery goes. I hope to add a pair of industries and scenery beyond here this summer. That's the plan anyway.
That wraps up today's entry. Be sure to check back as the NYCTL will be opening the books to hire a 1/87th scale Conductor Trainee. 
The new hiree will report for work after being cleared by the NYCTL medical doctor, Dr. Vinny Boombatz, and passing his 1/87th scale physical.
Thanks for reading!!!

See ya soon!!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice work on your scenery! It's coming along just fine. Good luck with hiring the new trainee, they're tough to find. Do we get the impression that your new trainees will have to get clearance to work on the railroad from not only the resident doctor but the ECPD? Your last photo would allude to that, and then some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 1:1 Sir Neal!!! I've looked at that last photo a bunch of times and cannot find any references that the new 1/87th scale hiree would be subject to an ECPD investigation. What am I missing? 🤔

      Delete
  2. Paver base is something I discovered when we had a patio done, and the contractor had a big pile of it! I was able to get a couple of coffee cans full before he finished the project and took it away. Reagrding those curves, one inspiration I've found is YouTube videos of Sunnyside Yard -- if you do a search of something like "Amtrak Sunnyside Yard", you can find things like cab ride views and views from the rear vestibule that provide a lot of inspiration for how to scenic curves in an urban area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tips on scenicking the curves!! I'll definitely look for those videos. The bagged paver base requires sifting but it works quite well once that is done.

      Delete
  3. Details and ballast make the scenes! Nice work. Paver base seems to work quite well as ballast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph!!! The paver base works well after sifting it. Probably not as good as MN garage floor 'stuff'!!

      Delete
  4. Hi John! I like your paver base as ballast idea. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert! I found the paver base to be a good bang for the buck. While it requires sifting one bag yields a lot of ballast. I start off with a cheap colander and then use a screen. As a bonus you'll get some decent HO sized rocks and boulders. I ended up with three separate containers of material for use on the layout. Good luck on your projects!!

      Delete