New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

R.O.W. Improvements

Greetings All,

The virtual ops catalyst has struck again! Looking to improve my layout and photos for my portions of the virtual ops, aka the Penn Central Car Movements, has led me to redo some portions of the N.Y.C.T.L.'s right of way. Let's take a look;

I've always thought this seldom photographed location where the shelf layout joins the peninsula with the track leading down to the lower level had potential. After several years I've taken the steps to make it more photo worthy.
The track heading down to the lower level sits on painted cork and painted plywood.
Once again I turned to my bag of paver base and sifted out this batch of material to be used as ballast.
Same location now ballasted and with less shrubbery between the tracks.
A NYC Erie Built leads the train down to the lower level as a trio of freight cars spotted at Ralph's Grocery Warehouse look on. 
A NYC E8A comes around the curve on the newly enhanced R.O.W.
Another location on the layout that I thought could use some work was this colorful portion of right of way on the upper level of Empire City.
From a landscaping perspective it looks nice. For a working railroad it started looking a bit too green and manicured.
With the shrubbery removed and the paver base in place rail favorite EBRR Alcos come thru midtown from the east side.
The EBRR GP30's coming thru the west side into midtown .
All in all I think these two locations came out well and look forward to seeing trains roll thru these newly improved scenes.


Thanks for reading! 


9 comments:

  1. Very nice update to the ROW on the NYCTL! Great job blending it together. I like the color of the ballast that you added. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments Sir Neal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I have very clear memories of riding the Northeast Corridor in June 1968 and January 1969. On the June trip, I noted lots of shrubbery along the New Haven, but it wasn't manicured -- it was extremely overgrown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments John!! I remember living in Brooklyn along the ex NH later PC and then Conrail Bay Bridge Branch which was mostly overgrown and garbage strewn in the mid 1970's.

      Delete
  4. Nice improvements to the ROW! Gives it a more gritty railroad look now. I like the photogenic appearance with the curves adding a new look for your shots. Was Larry able to let you use some of his “government” sponsored help for the ROW improvements? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Brian!!! Unfortunately for the E.B.R.R. Larry had the 'government' sponsored help manicuring is front and back yards.😎

      Delete
    2. You’re welcome! I agree with Ralph, photos 5&6 are great locations for photos and videos of the layout. Too bad Larry couldn’t loan his “government” sponsored workers to help out with the ROW improvements. I would imagine the local unions might have a issue with the idea as well. 😉

      Delete
  5. Nice work! I've got to remember paver sand as a scenery material! Looks great! I think my favorite new location for pics is the track beneath Ralph's shown in your 5th photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Ralph! I'll be trying to make the most of that area going forward.

      Delete