New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Train Show Finds

Greetings All,

On January 20th, 2018 Engineer Ed and I attended a local Train Show and I'm pleased to report we both did extremely well. In addition to our scouring the show for deals we were fortunate again to run into our train buddy Matt Burton from Chattanooga, TN. Always a pleasure to see Matt and learn of his model railroading adventures.

Matt, Engineer Ed and myself. 
http://original.trainlife.com/public/album_photo/88/64/09/9522d_056d.jpg?c=9069

I felt a little out of place as both Matt and Ed had at least two overflowing shopping bags of train goodies by the end of the show while I only had a single bag. I'll need to bring more money and a bigger list to the next show!

Engineer Ed has posted about his train purchases on his Hoschton Railway Company blog. 

Armed with a shopping list and a single shopping bag I got down to business. Top on the list was a controller for the Terminal Yard expansion that has been wired for two cab control. I found success at a tried and true vendor I've been buying from for years. 

I sought him out as soon as I got into the show and he came thru nicely.

In addition to the 2400 controller I bought this Roundhouse 50' CNW boxcar with ROUTE ROCK and the big R clearly present. Not sure if it's prototypical but it was a must have that I didn't know I must have until I saw it. I also bought the Roundhouse P&LE boxcar from the same vendor. The Athearn BB P&E boxcar was my final purchase from a different vendor. It caught my eye early in the show and I circled back to it before I left.
Other purchases included these Walthers Burlington 32' trailers for my 75' C.B.& Q. 75' T.O.F.C flatcar and a Bowser PS-2 hopper for a future paint project.
A Walthers PRR 75' T.O.F.C. flatcar to add to my T.O.F.C. fleet rounded out my purchases. These cars perform very well on my 22" and 24" curves. 
Here are the new freight cars on the layout;
An ongoing joke with 1:1 Ralph. The big R should be for the Ralph Island! One day I'll try and slip a ROUTE RALPH past the faithful.
P&LE 30890 after a shot of Testor's Dullcote and the installation of Intermountain metal wheels. The car and the CNW car above came with Kadee #5s already installed.
P&E #4222 with Proto 2000 wheels and Kadee #5s added. This car has also been sprayed with Testor's Dullcote. The 'QUICKER via Peoria' logo is an eye catcher and the P&E did use this slogan on some of their freight cars.
The Burlington trailers built and in place on the C.B.& Q. T.O.F.C. flatcar. The trailer has been sprayed with dullcote and the chassis and tires rattle can flat black.
After the show and a nice lunch Double E and I enjoyed a short ops session with the new Terminal Yard expansion. We also worked out some decal options for future projects that we are looking forward to putting in motion. 
All in all it was a great day enjoying the hobby and the friendships. 

 Thanks for reading!!!

8 comments:

  1. It really was a great day to include the weather. Sunny and warm. I thought the show had more vendors and bigger crowds than prior shows. I also noticed it seemed like a lot more parents with kids buying some trains which is always nice to see. As good as the show was, getting to run some trains on the NYCTL was surely a highlight. As always, a great op session. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% Double E! Glad you enjoyed the little ops session.

      Delete
  2. When the Rock Island finally went under in 1981, a lot of its equipment was parceled out to other railroads, in many cases with just the reporting marks painted over. The CNW Route Rock would be prototypical for this. The car would be a 1980s prototype, but I assume you're flexible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info John! With this car I am extremely flexible!

      Delete
  3. Nice finds John! I wasn't familiar with the Quicker via Peoria slogan. Love the RI car of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ralph! I'm don't remember seeing the quicker via Peoria on the P&E cars myself. I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking Peoria was the quickest way east to west bypassing Chicago. You know the Ralph Island car was a must have!

      Delete
  4. You and EE scored big at the Train Show. Your white Rock car is one of my favorite places of rolling stock. Roundhouse released it shortly after the Rock went out of business. You can still see old Rock cars with CNW and UP stencils still in service. Of course the Burlington trailers are a favorite. The P&LE cars were a great score as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian! It was a good day at the show for sure. Thought the old Rock car and the Burlington Trailers would catch your eye!

      Delete