New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Friday, September 22, 2017

New Subway People

Greetings All,


Over the course of several days I recently painted a large number of 1/100th scale figures for my subway stations. Since the re plumbing project of my house earlier this year my subway system had not yet been put back into service. Before I dug out the subway cars I ordered a set of 100 1/100 scale figures on ebay. After their arrival I set about to repaint some and touch up others to add to the stations. After all, what's a subway system without riders?... 

A bare Fulton Street station and the undecorated lower level portion of the layout. North Side Yard sits above this area.  
Lots of figures and lots of paint. I glued the figures to the stick and the plastic cases so I could work on a whole bunch at one time.
Fulton Street with would be subway riders awaiting their train. How prototypical is that!
Fulton Street from the opposite side.
Grand Central / 42nd Street station with some signs of life.
A nice mix of people waiting for their train includes this Transit Police Officer. 
A local pop group "The Facades" practice a tune while waiting for their train to arrive.
 Kids, parents and tourists with cameras at Fulton Street.
Grandfather and grandson discuss the day's trip while a nattily dressed traveler marvels at the cleanliness of the Empire City Transit Authority.
What's a subway without subway cars? Proto 1000 subway cars at Grand Central / 42nd Street. The silver and blue car is a N.Y.C.T.A. R-17 (I think) based on the round door window. The green car is an
 R-21 (I think) based the square end door window. 
 The Times Square Shuttle at Fulton Street station.
The IRT #4, the Lexington Ave Express, originated at Woodlawn Road in the Bronx. Below it bypasses Fulton Street on it's way south through the city to Utica Ave in Brooklyn.
Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. Very nice additions! I forgot you had the subway line, it's been a while. Those figures look great and definitely enhance the scene...Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subway is great! I think the last time I rode it, though, was when the cars were Pullman green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I actually rode the #4 train quite regularly and remember it being green like the model. At least the parts that were not covered with graffiti.

      Delete
  3. Your subway is a terrific feature on the N.Y.C.T.L. and the cars themselves are superb models. I last rode a NYC subway around 1975 or so. You captured the look of a subway station very nicely. People are a must! Nice work on all of those figures. Hope to see "The Facades" featured again in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Ralph! The subway of 1975 was quite different from the subway of say 2013 which was the last time I rode it. Much cleaner with more of a police presence on the last ride. I'd keep my eye on "The Facades". Never know when or where they'll pop up!

      Delete
  4. Nice paint jobs on those people. The figures from China tend to have some interesting color combinations. Yours are looking good. Subway scenes are a favorite of mine. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Engineer Ed! You're right about the figures being colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some nice upgrades to the NYCTL Subway system. Your new figures really give the station platforms some life and activity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brian! I wonder how much they'll protest when I raise the fare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you might find your pristine Subway cars decorated with some Urban artwork. One rider from the Kingsport area might even break out some Scampi Orange to show his protest of the fare increase. 😃

      Delete