New York Central Bee Liner

New York Central Bee Liner
RDC-3 #497 calls at Bedford Station

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

A Few More Hopper Cars From The Purgatory Box




Greetings All,

I think I've pretty much exhausted my purgatory box supply of coal hoppers!  Three more cars have been stripped, painted and lettered with the Empire Belt getting two and the Penn Central getting one.

E.B.R.R. #416079 and #416082 roll out of the Terminal Yard Shop into the florescent lights after many years in the darkness of the purgatory box. Both hoppers are from Bachmann. 
One was a red M&STL. 
Image result for Bachmann M&STL hopper
and the other a blue Rock Island RR.
Image result for Bachmann M&STL hopper
IM metal wheels and body mounted Kadee couplers have been added to one of the cars. With all the purgatory box projects I've exhausted my stock of metal wheels and Kadee couplers so one car will be coming back to the shop once I restock.
PC #483442, a 100 ton hopper, is next out of the shop. This is an honest to goodness PC H43D hopper car. Decals are from Highball Graphics. 
The car is a former blue Rock Island hopper from Life Like.  
Image result for Life Like Rock Island hopper
















Walthers later released this same car (PC 473972) in their Proto 1000 series.
Image result for Penn Central 100 ton hopper

That's enough coal hopper projects for a little while. 1:1 Engineer Ed just bestowed upon me ten Bowser H21A hopper kits with four stripped of paint and the other six in PRR paint. I'll tackle these after I restock my supply of metal wheels and Kadee couplers. Thanks Double E!!! At this rate I'm gonna need another coal mine!

Next post we'll take a look at some recent T.O.F.C projects with at least one car from the purgatory box.


Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. The Life Like cars are real sleepers, really good detail but also very robust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur 100%. I've found their releases before the proto series began to be exactly how you describe them. Little difference between some P-1000 cars and later Life Like cars.

      Delete
  2. Nice use of the remaining hoppers from the Purgatory box. The Empire Belt is becoming a major player in the coal business! My loyalties are torn on the PC car. It looks great in its new paint scheme. But I really liked the old paint job as well. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian! Right now coal is king and the E.B.R.R. is ready to profit. I hear you on the Life Like RI now PC car. I was torn over this car myself and waffled about painting it for several months. In the end the PC won out as it was a perfect match for the 100 ton hopper project Ralph, Ed and me embarked on earlier in the year.

      Delete
    2. It went to a good cause! I'll have to track down some of those Life Like 100 ton hoppers and add both RI and PC versions to the fleet.

      Delete
    3. That it did! It also went from an oddball car languishing in the purgatory box to actually seeing revenue service. It was a really good looking and well painted RI hopper car. Not sure if they had them in blue but it was well done. It became an oddball when I decided to get the hopper fleet looking more uniform.

      Delete
  3. The Purgatory Box is more like a happy version of Pandora's Box. You opened it up and all of these great looking hoppers came out...even more than you initially expected! Empire Belt logos look great on black hoppers and coordinate beautifully with the Penn Central equipment! Say, not to detract from the hoppers but I don't think I've seen that yellow PRR MOW car in the background before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail on the head with the Pandora's box reference! Thanks for the compliments on the latest paint jobs from the N.Y.C.T.L. Paint Shop! That PRR MOW baggage is car belongs to my son Thomas and has been 'borrowed' for use at Terminal Yard.

      Delete
  4. As always, the NYCTL Paint shops are at the top of their game. The way things are going it looks like the EBRR, APPR and KP&W are cornering the coal markets. I hope you guys leave a little coal business for the HRC. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.E.! There's always a place for the HRC. We're looking forward to the HRC joing the action and then we can use the old New York Central 'Big Four' moniker!

      Delete