As previously reported train operations on the layout and virtual operations with friends have spawned a list of projects and scheduled improvements on the N.Y.C.T.L. Some will be slow to implement and others have begun. Working around cold and rainy weather which shut down my outdoor spray booth I worked on some odds and ends type projects on the layout. Some turned out well and can be checked off the to-do list and others are just kind of in the experimental stage and just roughed in.
First up I broke down and purchased the Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders from Micro Mark. I have been wanting to get into the weathering of my rolling stock and motive power for quite some time but have been very hesitant to do so. I finally took the plunge. I experimented on a few cars with what I think are decent results for a first time effort.
RBOX 34593 is from Accurail and was part of a three car set I bought a long time ago. I was disappointed in the cars from the beginning as the body is yellow plastic with the lettering applied directly to that. First issue was the car glowed under the lights. Second it never looked right, especially next to cars with painted shells. All the cars were dull coated as is my practice but they still did not look right. I did paint the insides of these cars flat black to eliminate the radioactive look. I gave this one a dry brushing of burnt umber a while back and then followed that up with the weathering powders. Better but still needs some work.
and a not weathered Athearn BB RBOX 11065
After reading John's entry I thought I'd introduce these Varney hopper cars from 1961. I picked these cars up for a dollar from a former LHS that had a huge closeout of used inventory about 8 years ago. Both have been upgraded with knuckle couplers and the Virginian car has received new trucks and P-2000 metal wheels. The coal load in the C&O car is stamped Varney 1959.